SIL Open Font License v1.10
This license can also be found at this permalink: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/license/modak
copyright (c) 2015 Ek Type (www.ektype.in)
This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1.
This license is copied below, and is also available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1 - 26 February 2007
The goals of the Open Font License (OFL) are to stimulate worldwide development of collaborative font projects, to support the font creation efforts of academic and linguistic communities, and to provide a free and open framework in which fonts may be shared and improved in partnership with others.
The OFL allows the licensed fonts to be used, studied, modified and redistributed freely as long as they are not sold by themselves. The fonts, including any derivative works, can be bundled, embedded, redistributed and/or sold with any software provided that any reserved names are not used by derivative works. The fonts and derivatives, however, cannot be released under any other type of license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the fonts or their derivatives.
“Font Software” refers to the set of files released by the Copyright Holder(s) under this license and clearly marked as such. This may include source files, build scripts and documentation.
“Reserved Font Name” refers to any names specified as such after the copyright statement(s).
“Original Version” refers to the collection of Font Software components as distributed by the Copyright Holder(s).
“Modified Version” refers to any derivative made by adding to, deleting, or substituting—in part or in whole—any of the components of the Original Version, by changing formats or by porting the Font Software to a new environment.
“Author” refers to any designer, engineer, programmer, technical writer or other person who contributed to the Font Software.
PERMISSION & CONDITIONS
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of the Font Software, to use, study, copy, merge, embed, modify, redistribute, and sell modified and unmodified copies of the Font Software, subject to the following conditions:
1) Neither the Font Software nor any of its individual components, in Original or Modified Versions, may be sold by itself.
2) Original or Modified Versions of the Font Software may be bundled, redistributed and/or sold with any software, provided that each copy contains the above copyright notice and this license. These can be included either as stand-alone text files, human-readable headers or in the appropriate machine-readable metadata fields within text or binary files as long as those fields can be easily viewed by the user.
3) No Modified Version of the Font Software may use the Reserved Font Name(s) unless explicit written permission is granted by the corresponding Copyright Holder. This restriction only applies to the primary font name as presented to the users.
4) The name(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) or the Author(s) of the Font Software shall not be used to promote, endorse or advertise any Modified Version, except to acknowledge the contribution(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) and the Author(s) or with their explicit written permission.
5) The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole, must be distributed entirely under this license, and must not be distributed under any other license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the Font Software.
This license becomes null and void if any of the above conditions are not met.
THE FONT SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, OR OTHER RIGHT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE FONT SOFTWARE OR FROM OTHER DEALINGS IN THE FONT SOFTWARE.
Notes from Fontsquirrel about the heritage of this font:
This font's license appears to allow you to use @font-face css embedding!
Modak Regular | 1228 Glyphs
Modak is a sweet plump Devanagari+Latin display typeface with portly curves and thin counters. It is Unicode compliant and is open sourced under the SIL Open Font License v1.1.
It began as a heavy hand-sketched letterform exploration in Devanagari with cute, adorable characters whose curves merged into each other, forming distinct counter shapes. As we translated these into a functional font, each character was fine-tuned and multiple matras designed to match precisely with every character. Unlike the conventional approach the post-base matras in Modak overlap the consonants. Likewise overlapping ukars were also designed leaving thin counters in between. Rather than being a mere composite of 2 separate glyphs, every conjunct was redrawn as a single entity. The challenge was to maintain legibility and consistency in the thin counter spaces across all characters, irrespective of their structural complexity. The resulting typeface is one of its kind and most likely the chubbiest Devanagari typeface to be designed so far.
Modak Devanagari is designed by Sarang Kulkarni and Maithili Shingre and Modak Latin by Noopur Datye with font engineering by Girish Dalvi. This project is led by Ek Type, a collective of type designers based in Mumbai focused on designing contemporary Indian typefaces.
We are immensely thankful to Santosh Kshirsagar, Pradnya Naik, Yashodeep Gholap and Dave Crossland for their suggestions and feedback during the font design process. We are also grateful to our friends from the Industrial Design Centre, IIT Bombay and Sir J J Institute of Applied Art for their support and encouragement.
|Uploaded on:||April 5, 2017|
|Designed by:||EK Type|
|Classifications:||Display, Sans Serif|
|Languages:||Show Language Support|
|Some Fonts Also Support:|