SIL Open Font License v1.10
This license can also be found at this permalink: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/license/eb-garamond
Copyright (c) 2010, 2011 Georg Duffner (http://www.georgduffner.at)
This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1.
This license is copied below, and is also available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1 - 26 February 2007
The goals of the Open Font License (OFL) are to stimulate worldwide development of collaborative font projects, to support the font creation efforts of academic and linguistic communities, and to provide a free and open framework in which fonts may be shared and improved in partnership with others.
The OFL allows the licensed fonts to be used, studied, modified and redistributed freely as long as they are not sold by themselves. The fonts, including any derivative works, can be bundled, embedded, redistributed and/or sold with any software provided that any reserved names are not used by derivative works. The fonts and derivatives, however, cannot be released under any other type of license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the fonts or their derivatives.
“Font Software” refers to the set of files released by the Copyright Holder(s) under this license and clearly marked as such. This may include source files, build scripts and documentation.
“Reserved Font Name” refers to any names specified as such after the copyright statement(s).
“Original Version” refers to the collection of Font Software components as distributed by the Copyright Holder(s).
“Modified Version” refers to any derivative made by adding to, deleting, or substituting—in part or in whole—any of the components of the Original Version, by changing formats or by porting the Font Software to a new environment.
“Author” refers to any designer, engineer, programmer, technical writer or other person who contributed to the Font Software.
PERMISSION & CONDITIONS
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of the Font Software, to use, study, copy, merge, embed, modify, redistribute, and sell modified and unmodified copies of the Font Software, subject to the following conditions:
1) Neither the Font Software nor any of its individual components, in Original or Modified Versions, may be sold by itself.
2) Original or Modified Versions of the Font Software may be bundled, redistributed and/or sold with any software, provided that each copy contains the above copyright notice and this license. These can be included either as stand-alone text files, human-readable headers or in the appropriate machine-readable metadata fields within text or binary files as long as those fields can be easily viewed by the user.
3) No Modified Version of the Font Software may use the Reserved Font Name(s) unless explicit written permission is granted by the corresponding Copyright Holder. This restriction only applies to the primary font name as presented to the users.
4) The name(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) or the Author(s) of the Font Software shall not be used to promote, endorse or advertise any Modified Version, except to acknowledge the contribution(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) and the Author(s) or with their explicit written permission.
5) The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole, must be distributed entirely under this license, and must not be distributed under any other license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the Font Software.
This license becomes null and void if any of the above conditions are not met.
THE FONT SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, OR OTHER RIGHT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE FONT SOFTWARE OR FROM OTHER DEALINGS IN THE FONT SOFTWARE.
Notes from Fontsquirrel about the heritage of this font:
The license for this font is the SIL OFL license. This license does not allow us to redistribute derivative versions of the font without wholesale name changes inside and out of the font. Until we figure out a reasonable method of delivering these to you and complying with the license, you will have to use the Webfont Generator yourself on these, renaming the fonts appropriately.
If you are the designer of this font, and this was an unintended consequence of using the OFL license, contact us and give us permission to allow webfont conversions. Thanks!
EB Garamond 08 Regular | 2200 Glyphs
EB Garamond 08 Italic | 2135 Glyphs
EB Garamond 12 Regular | 3084 Glyphs
EB Garamond 12 Italic | 2516 Glyphs
EB Garamond SC 08 Regular | 2069 Glyphs
EB Garamond SC 12 Regular | 2545 Glyphs
EB Garamond 12 All SC | 1190 Glyphs
EB Garamond Initials | 13 Glyphs
EB Garamond Initials Fill1 | 12 Glyphs
EB Garamond Initials Fill2 | 12 Glyphs
Garamont’s fonts have set a milestone, on which font designers have been recurring ever since. EB Garamond is an open source project to create a revival of Claude Garamont’s famous humanist typeface from the mid-16th century. Its design reproduces the original design by Claude Garamont: The source for the letterforms is a scan of a specimen known as the “Berner specimen”, which, composed in 1592 by Conrad Berner, son-in-law of Christian Egenolff and his successor at the Egenolff print office, shows Garamont’s roman and Granjon’s italic fonts at different sizes. Hence the name of this project: Egenolff-Berner Garamond.
Why another Garamond? The Garamonds are probably the most copied typefaces in the world. There are indeed lots of excellent Garamond fonts, also such that try to approach the original in the same way as EB Garamond does. In the world of free software, however, only few Garamond-inspired fonts exist, and as far as I know, none with the scope of EB Garamond. I know that competition is hard in this field, and these fonts won’t be able to stand up to their commercial counterparts for quite some time. Nevertheless, its time for the opensource community to have a classical Garamond and I promise, I’ll try hard to learn and give my best.
|Uploaded on:||March 25, 2011|
|Designed by:||Georg Duffner|
|Languages:||Show Language Support|
|Some Fonts Also Support:|